BOSTON -- The Blue Jays recalled left-hander Luis Perez from Triple-A Las Vegas on Friday afternoon.
The move had been anticipated since Wednesday, when the club optioned left-hander Brad Mills to the Minors following a three-game series in Seattle.
General manager Alex Anthopoulos said the move was made in part because of the team's difficult four-game series in Boston and the lack of late innings being thrown by Brett Cecil, Jo-Jo Reyes and Jesse Litsch.
"We wanted to have that depth for this series, because these three starters haven't gone seven innings each time out. These games tend to be long and marathons, and this is a lineup that will grind it out," said Anthopoulos, whose team is going with an eight-man bullpen.
"Luis can protect the rotation and the 'pen, and even if it's for a short period, it gives us a chance to look at him, because it is a year to find out about Luis Perez, because he will be out of options at the end of the year."
The 26-year-old Perez made one start for Triple-A Las Vegas this season and allowed four runs over five innings.