NEW YORK -- Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera likely will miss the rest of the season because of a left knee injury.
Cabrera hasn't played since he left a game against the Angels on Aug. 1. An issue was discovered in his meniscus, and while surgery appears to have been ruled out, he needs an extended period of rest.
The 29-year-old signed a two-year contract during the offseason but so far has struggled with the Blue Jays. He had a .279 average in 88 games, but he had an OPS of just .682 while struggling to cover any ground in left field because of his wonky legs.
"I don't know that for sure, but probably not," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said when asked if Cabrera might return this season.
If Cabrera is officially shut down for the season, he would join right-hander Brandon Morrow and possibly Josh Johnson as players who won't be back in 2013. Even though there are barely five weeks remaining in the season, the Blue Jays don't want to make the same assumption with the rest of their walking wounded.
Toronto hopes that Jose Bautista will return at some point in September, while Colby Rasmus is expected to resume baseball activities on Monday in an effort to return from an injured oblique muscle. Right-hander Steve Delabar also should return before the end of the season, while Drew Hutchison and Kyle Drabek are candidates to be called up in September.
"We'll add a couple of pitchers, at least," Gibbons said of promoting additional players when rosters can be expanded on Sept. 1. "I'm sure there will be a couple of position players, but you don't know when Colby will be back, or Bautista. We'll bring another catcher so we'll have three catchers."