Toronto taking wait-and-see approach with Lind

Toronto taking wait-and-see approach with Lind

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Blue Jays are taking a wait-and-see approach with Adam Lind as they continue to hope the veteran designated hitter will be able to avoid the disabled list.

Lind suffered a lower back injury on Tuesday and was in noticeable discomfort after the game in Minnesota. He didn't look much better two days later and was still walking around rather gingerly, without much flexibility in his upper half.

Toronto's plan is to wait at least another day before making a decision on whether a roster move is needed, but Lind certainly didn't sound overly confident about avoiding the DL.

"We're just going to do what we can to get me on the field as soon as we can," Lind said when asked about the possibility of a DL stint.

"I'm functional, so hopefully I'll have good treatment all day today and hopefully by the weekend, I'll be able to play."

If Lind does require a stint on the DL, then the Blue Jays would likely promote either Dan Johnson or Juan Francisco from Triple-A Buffalo. The DH would then turn into somewhat of a platoon, with one of those players in the mix along with the likes of Dioner Navarro and Colby Rasmus.

Rasmus got the start at DH for Game 1 on Thursday afternoon as he made his return from a left hamstring injury. Rasmus had been out since Sunday, and while the Blue Jays wanted to avoid using him in the field on a cold day in Minnesota, he was made available to hit.

"You really don't want to throw him on the field with these conditions, but we're going to DH him," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "We'll see how that goes, but he should be fine. ... He could play the outfield today if it was a normal day, but we have to be cautious."

Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.