BOSTON -- The Blue Jays held a closed-door meeting prior to Tuesday's game at Fenway Park to discuss the announcement that the club would be moving its June 25-27 series against the Phillies from Toronto to Philadelphia.
Blue Jays center fielder Vernon Wells, who serves as the team's union rep, said that the news did not come as a surprise. Wells had been looped in on discussions about the series relocation, which was deemed necessary due the G20 Summit being held in Toronto on the same weekend.
"Everybody had input into it," Wells said. "When you're talking about security concerns -- obviously our families are there, the potential of something going wrong, whatever that may be, it's a wise choice to move it."
The three-game Interleague series will now be held at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, though the teams will play under American League rules. The designated hitter will be utilized and the Blue Jays will remain the home team and have the last at-bat. Wells said that does not mean it will feel at all like a home game.
"Of course not," Wells said. "You're playing in Philly, where obviously they have some of the most passionate fans in all of sports. We will be hated, as we are normally when we go there. But it's a good place to hit and we've played well on the road so far."
The three road games will now provide the first leg of a three-city trip that will follow with stops in Cleveland and New York. Wells confirmed that the Blue Jays and Phillies discussed shifting the June 25-27 series to Cleveland's Progressive Field in order to find a neutral site for the clubs.
"We covered everything we could," Wells said. "We even talked about possibly moving it to Cleveland, but then we'd be in Cleveland for a week, and that'd be interesting. I don't think anybody in here minds it [being in Philadelphia]. It's just another three days on the road.
"We've been talking about it for a couple months now, obviously knowing what the situation is going to be. When you're having that kind of meeting in the city, just a block away from the ballpark, it has to be discussed. I think it was the right choice."
Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.